Thursday, March 8, 2007

Karma (Obv)

This week I started skipping classes for the first time at UMass. I rationalized it by going to the gym, cleaning my room, or sleeping. (I did sleep through a 1220-110 class, which made me feel like a huge degenerate).

This has started a multitude of problems in two of my classes:

1. Philosophy of Religion. This meets Monday Wednesday and Friday. I literally have done 0 work for this class, and I missed Monday and Wednesday. I am missing Friday's class to go to Atlantic City, and we have our mid-term on Monday. (Worth 40 percent of the grade). This does not bode well for me.

2. Social Problems. This class meets Tuesday night for 3 hours. I missed Tuesday night's class. The professor told me I could pick up the assignment outside his office today. It wasn't outside his office today, and I'm not going back to UMass until Monday. This will give me one day to do a one week assignment, which happens to be a 5 page paper.

However, I do like two of my other classes.

1. Creative Writing. We are doing poetry now. Mine obviously sucks because I haven't tried to kill myself (yet). When I write a short story I might post it, although it will probably be tl;dr.
2. Journalism 310- Press and the Third World.

This class deserves it's own part of the entry.

1. It's a pretty interesting class. We talk about how and why the US Media represents different things from the third world. I had already read one of the books, "Mountains Beyond Mountains" that is required for the class, which was reccomended by Mcneish also (even though he said he didn't actually read it).
2. We got our first assignments back today. I got an A+. Not an A. An A+. It's like elementary school all over again, where I was Michael Johnson, and my classmates were the other competitors in the 1996 Olympic 200m final.
3. I'm already a better journalist than Bloom.

Friendship

I've realized I don't know how to make friends. In high school all of my friends were the kids who:
a. played basketball after school freshman, sophomore, and junior year.

and/or

b. gambled all senior year.

In college, all my friends came from TUXC (plus Dub).

It just kind of happened. Now, I have no idea WTF I am supposed to do about "making friends." I feel like asking a guy to hang out would be like asking him on a date (OMG THATS SO GHEY!!11!), and asking a girl to hang out would be like asking her on a date (Am I allowed to do this??)

Any ideas on the topic would be appreciated.


Back to the karma thing.....

I bought tickets to the Atlantic 10 semifinals and finals for basketball, assuming UMass would be making it. The only had to win one game (that took place today), and they were decent favorites. This is where the karma comes in.

I skipped classes this week, and I get punished for not going. Umass blew a 9 point lead in the second half and proceeded to lose in overtime. I will still go to Atlantic City, and this bad luck will continue there, where I estimate I will lose about two thousand dollars.


Trip Report of Atlantic City will come on Sunday night while I procrastinate studying for my Philosophy of religion exam.


--DB

No comments: